29 December 2008

Maal Hijrah 1430

It's the new year again, and Muslims rejoice because on this day 1430 years ago, the Holy Messenger Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him) was ordered by Allah to commit to the Hijrah, the migration from Makkah to Madinah.

In some nomenclature, the Hijrah is termed the Flight, which means the Muslims were fleeing from their tormentors. In a way, this is true, as they escaped torture and persecution by their own people.

In other conceptions, the Hijrah is the moving on, the development, the continuous cycle of existence. Of finding greener pastures to graze in, of finding a better way of doing things, of becoming a better self.

As for me, I have my plate full with a new baby, a new home and a new environment to adapt to. I often get calls and sms's from friends and fans who read the blog who ask me, "What silat are you doing now?".

My canned response is "Silat Kehidupan" or "Silat Mencari Rezeki", because in a world where financial uncertainty and personal security issues run rampant, my first priority is always my family.

A quick survey amongst friends from my former training group proves that I'm not alone. Everyone else has committed their own Hijrah. Some have new children to feed, travel hundreds of kilometers to work every day, struggling to make ends meet, finding the funds to keep those ends together and more.

Although my time has shrunk down to the rare post on this blog, every time I pass my trusty sword Saiful Azraq or my sturdy keris Al-Bahr, I can't resist unsheathing them and going a few rounds of imaginary wounding. I miss those days, and those days miss me.

My only consolation so far, is that friendships last longer than training arenas, and even though keeping in touch with silat mates has become more difficult, the odd sms here and there gives me the strength to carry on with my Hijrah.

To all pesilat around the world, Maal Hijrah to a better us. Wassalam.

Original Article by Mohd Nadzrin Wahab

5 comments:

A Tabib said...

Salam Maal Hijrah,

I was pointed to your blog by An-Nimr.

You have good site here. It's good to know that somebody is blogging about silat. I'm no pesilat but I hope you will keep up the good work.

salam and good luck.

Mohd Nadzrin Wahab said...

Salam hormat,

An-Nimr seems to point everyone she admires to one another. I've become a fan of your blog since ya Tabib.

Keep writing and I'll keep reading.

Salam persilatan,

Saya... said...

Yo,

Tabs! Nice to see you here!

Nadzrin, who said I admired you? Perasan lu, ek? Hahahaha...

Great post on Hijrah... Saiful Azraq? Cute!

To a better us, InsyaAllah...

GLOBAL ABJAD BLOG said...

Salam Bro Nadzrin

Somehow I sense some 'encoded messages' you're trying to send in this post.

Actually, I too am currently in similar conditions as you are now.

Sometimes I do not know, how I manage to come this far... Looking back, I guess it's the spiritual drive within me asking me to go on and go on as I will be reaching the destination soon enough.

But one thing is certain...never give up.

May I pick up some 'words of wisdom' from Ustaz Ahmad :

1) Strong aspiration (teguh cita-cita)

2) Effort (usaha/ikhtiar)

3) Prayers/Doa (rangkaian doa dan amal)

Finally put all three together and 'surrender them totally to Allah SWT'

Whenever I feel like 'this close' to giving up, I will start talking to a friend or be with friends esp. those in the jamaah. It feels really good to talk & discuss with friends

Another thing, I know in my heart, that spreading the knowledge is a good thing and "I'm sure we'll get something back in return"

You've done well my friend - just keep up the good work.

Regards & Wassalam

Pok Nik

Mohd Nadzrin Wahab said...

Assalamualaikum Poknik,

Salam Maal Hijrah and thank you for your support all this while. I don't know who still reads this blog. It's nice to know you still do.

Wassalam,