03 March 2010

Author Commits Proceeds From 'Silat' Book To Charity


Kuala Belait - The author of a book Silat: A Perspective on the Malay Martial Art has commited all proceeds from the books sales in Brunei to charity.

In an interview with The Brunei Times, Amir Talib said that he intended to aid the charities in the country, after successfully getting approval to proceed with his plans.

"Now my commitment is that any sales generated within Brunei will go to a respective charity," said Amir. "Right now, I'm talking to one in particular, Pusat Ehsan (Al-Ameerah Al-Hajjah Maryam)," he said.

"I've sent a proposal to their committee and they've already come back with a verbal agreement, and a written one will come through soon, sometime this week or next week, to say that I can go ahead and proceed generating donations through the sales of the book."

He added that while at the present moment it is with Pusat Ehsan, he has an ambition to help other charities too. "Subsequent to this is that wherever I am able to find (an organisation or charity)," said Amir.

For the father of two, his intention of publishing the book was never for the money. "It was never with any goal of making profit when we published the book The idea was to be able to share the information without too much of a cost to me." he said.

"I can tell you now that I've not made any money out of it," said Amir who is a Brunei Shell Petroleum employee. "The idea is that all revenues generated in Brunei will be donated to a chosen charity or a chosen organisation," he explained. "I just thought it was the right thing to do," he added.

"I have managed to come across local examples of parents of children who have autism," he said. At the moment, Amir conceded that the response internationally, has been slow.

Here in Brunei, the books are available in branches of Best Eastern bookstores, however it will only be at the end of March before he hears of any new progress.

Amir remains adamant about his efforts, "I don't want this book to just be something about me, I want it to be contributiing to something larger, more than just about silat."

He emphasises: "If I can make small contributions whether financially or whatever to the organisations that champion autism or help with disabilities I'd be more than happy to."

Copies of Silat: A Perspective on the Malay Martial Art is available at Best Eastern for $15 and all proceeds will go to charity.

Sourced from http://www.brudirect.com/index.php/2010030216949/Local-News/author-commits-proceeds-from-silat-book-to-charity.html

No comments: