29 April 2012

Rina defies doctor’s orders to regain national title

KUALA LUMPUR: Former world champion Rina Jordana took her rightful place as the queen of silat olahraga after defying the doctor’s orders to regain her national title at the 16th National Silat Championships at the KLBA Stadium in Cheras.

The 32-year-old Rina last won the national title in 2006 before quitting in 2007 – the same year she was crowned world champion – due to work commitments.

Although she did not have high hopes prior to the tournament, Rina was a cut above her rivals and dominated Kedah’s Nur Adilah Abdul Hamid in the final of the women’s Class B (50-55kg).

The five judges scored 17-9, 13-8, 15-4, 14-9, 17-12 in her favour despite Rina fighting with a broken toe.

“I honestly did not expect to win here because I have not been training regularly,” said Rina, who has also represented Malaysia in futsal.

“I’ve been playing more futsal of late but silat remains my first love. That’s why I decided to compete in the national championship.

“Unfortunately, I had to change my style in the semi-final and final and I couldn’t go on the attack because of the injury and it was my experience which helped me overcome my opponents.

“I am not sure if I will return to the national team but if I am given a chance I will give it a shot,” added Rina, who won a gold medal at the 2002 Asian Games when silat was a demonstration sport.

Meanwhile, 18-year-old Nur Jannah Alias was a big winner after walking away with three gold medals in the silat seni category.

Sourced from http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2012/4/29/sports/11199229&sec=sports

No comments: