KANGAR, June 4 (Bernama) -- The Malaysian National Silat Federation (Pesaka) will investigate an allegation that silat exponents from Kedah who competed in the national junior meet that ended here today had been neglected.
Its Secretary General, Megat Zulkarnain Omardin, said Kedah Pesaka would also be asked to submit an official report on the incident as soon as possible.
Pesaka had come to know of the incident through the media, he told reporters after the closing of the six-day Fifth National Junior Championships here today.
Some 20 silat exponents from Kedah, including seven girls, were found staying at the Kampung Santan community hall without proper facilities since the tournament started on May 30.
A visit to the hall by the media in the morning and afternoon several days ago found that the athletes slept on mats and used their bags for pillows.
The girls stayed at a different building.
Megat Zulkarnain said he had received an initial report from Kedah Pesaka saying that the community hall was used as a training venue and not for accommodation.
"I will look at the Kedah Pesaka official report and take into consideration the media reports," he said.
He said he was disappointed over the incident as the Perlis government, the hosts, provided the best venue, accommodation and transportation.
Perlis provided accommodation at the Perlis Polytechnic in Pauh as well as transport facilities to the tournament venue at the Dewan 2020 here.
Megat Zulkarnain said he was afraid that the incident would prompt parents not to allow their children to take part in the national-level tournament after this.
On the action that can be taken on Kedah Pesaka for neglecting their athletes, he said, it would be decided at the next executive council meeting.
"I cannot give any further comment because I need to see the reasons for the incident. I need to see the official report from Kedah Pesaka first," he added.
Sourced from http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-136661942/pesaka-probe-allegation-neglected.html