17 November 2011

SEA Games: Al Jufferi step away from surprise gold

Al Jufferi Jamari is within striking distance of winning a silat gold medal in his maiden appearance at the Sea Games in Padepokan today.

The 19-year-old exponent from Kuantan is one of four Malaysians contesting the sparring finals today as the sport looks to deliver its targeted two gold medals.

Al Jufferi was not expected to even be in the final and should he win today, it will be a pleasant surprise.

"It's my first time here at the Sea Games and now that I'm in the final, I'm not going to let this golden opportunity slip away.

"It would be the sweetest achievement of my career in silat if I were to win tomorrow (today)," said Al Jufferi, who meets Nguyen Duy Chien of Vietnam in the men's Class E final.

Earlier, he edged Indonesia's I Komong Wahyu 3-2 in the quarter-finals before beating Wattara Thammachut of Thailand 5-0 in the semi-finals.

The other Malaysian exponents attempting for gold are Ahmad Shahril Zailudin (men's Class D), Fauzi Khalid (men's Class F) and Siti Rahmah Nasir, the only Malaysian woman exponent to make a final in Class E.

Malaysia already have six bronze medals in the bag following the semi-finals on Monday.

Sourced from http://www.nst.com.my/sports/other/sea-games-al-jufferi-step-away-from-surprise-gold-1.7151

No comments: