23 December 2007

Silat: The Definition - A Prologue

A question was asked of me by Madmike through a post I made many days ago. He asked me, "what is silat"? More specifically, the question meant, "what makes silat what it is, and what makes other martial arts not silat"?

To Madmike, thank you for the question. I sat down to write the answer, but after several different drafts, I discovered that I had hit a wall. I knew for a fact what silat is. I eat, breathe and sleep silat. But the problem is, how do we nail down something that is so fluid, so dynamic?

If you were to ask me what Silat Cekak is, or what Silat Sendeng is, I could give you a fair answer. But, if you asked me, what silat is... don't get me wrong. I do have an answer. The question is, do you have the time?

On the verge, of giving up, I suddenly realised, that this is exactly what SilatMelayu.Com and Silat Melayu The Blog is about, getting the message across.

Therefore, the next few posts will be dedicated to trying to create a comprehensive thesis of silat, crystalising its spiritual, philosophical, communal and practical basis as well as trying to define the major characteristics and components of silat.

For those masters and instructors around the world reading this, and saying either out loud or in their hearts, "Good luck with that!", I thank you.

I'll certainly need it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Subhanallah. May we all be given the wisdom in spreading the message.

Mohd Nadzrin Wahab said...

Salam hormat ustaz,

Still scratching my head. Very little falling out just yet.

Salam persilatan,

Anonymous said...

yayyy..thx for the effort ;-)
btw the ori version of the q is "what makes silat, silat?"
thx agn.

Mohd Nadzrin Wahab said...

Salam hormat,

I am coming close to formulating what I understand about silat and what makes it silat. InsyaAllah it will be published soon.

Salam persilatan,